Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Yemen (wasRe: King Donald)

On 2017-02-06 09:08, Disaster Master wrote:
On 2/4/2017, 9:38:53 PM, Sailfish
<NIXCAPSsailfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Wolf K. graced us with on 2/4/2017
5:01 PM:
On 2017-02-04 18:23, Sailfish wrote:
Most Americans understand what it takes to become rich and do not desire
that path. They do expect that working hard comes with its own rewards.
Yes, that includes a decent salary and a weekend off. Is that such a
greedy thing to aspire to?

No, it's not greed (which is the sin of feeling entitled to more than
your fair share). It's what it should be. People want to do a good job:
the respect of one's peers is very important. A decent salary? Yes,
enough to pay for one's leisure. But the anti-union sentiment in the US
(and Canada) has made it difficult to get that. I worked for a non-union
company in Alberta years ago. We got a raise whenever the union workers
at Texaco down the down got a raise. Later, I worked at another
non-union plant. Same thing. In fact, I earned more (at 17) that year
than my dad did as a catheter at maximum salary. I never told him,
though. As union power has diminished, so has real income for the bottom
60%. A good deal of that damage was self-inflicted by voters who
supported "right to work" laws.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Real income has continually gone down mainly due to the great hidden tax
- inflation - which has been rampant ever since we went off the silver
standard in ... 1965 I think.

Real average wages peaked in 1974:

Which was also the last year that productivity gains and wage increases rose in tandem:

So who's received the increased income from increased productivity?

Wolf K.