Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Yemen (wasRe: King Donald)

On 2017-02-06 09:08, Disaster Master wrote:
On 2/4/2017, 9:38:53 PM, Sailfish
<NIXCAPSsailfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Wolf K. graced us with on 2/4/2017
5:01 PM:
On 2017-02-04 18:23, Sailfish wrote:
[...]
Most Americans understand what it takes to become rich and do not desire
that path. They do expect that working hard comes with its own rewards.
Yes, that includes a decent salary and a weekend off. Is that such a
greedy thing to aspire to?
[...]

No, it's not greed (which is the sin of feeling entitled to more than
your fair share). It's what it should be. People want to do a good job:
the respect of one's peers is very important. A decent salary? Yes,
enough to pay for one's leisure. But the anti-union sentiment in the US
(and Canada) has made it difficult to get that. I worked for a non-union
company in Alberta years ago. We got a raise whenever the union workers
at Texaco down the down got a raise. Later, I worked at another
non-union plant. Same thing. In fact, I earned more (at 17) that year
than my dad did as a catheter at maximum salary. I never told him,
though. As union power has diminished, so has real income for the bottom
60%. A good deal of that damage was self-inflicted by voters who
supported "right to work" laws.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Real income has continually gone down mainly due to the great hidden tax
- inflation - which has been rampant ever since we went off the silver
standard in ... 1965 I think.

Real average wages peaked in 1974:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_wages#/media/File:US_Real_Wages_1964-2004.gif

Which was also the last year that productivity gains and wage increases rose in tandem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_wages#/media/File:US_productivity_and_real_wages.jpg

So who's received the increased income from increased productivity?

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com