Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Yemen (wasRe: King Donald)

On 2/4/2017, 9:38:53 PM, Sailfish
<NIXCAPSsailfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what Wolf K. graced us with on 2/4/2017
> 5:01 PM:
>> On 2017-02-04 18:23, Sailfish wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Most Americans understand what it takes to become rich and do not desire
>>> that path. They do expect that working hard comes with its own rewards.
>>> Yes, that includes a decent salary and a weekend off. Is that such a
>>> greedy thing to aspire to?
>> [...]
>>
>> No, it's not greed (which is the sin of feeling entitled to more than
>> your fair share). It's what it should be. People want to do a good job:
>> the respect of one's peers is very important. A decent salary? Yes,
>> enough to pay for one's leisure. But the anti-union sentiment in the US
>> (and Canada) has made it difficult to get that. I worked for a non-union
>> company in Alberta years ago. We got a raise whenever the union workers
>> at Texaco down the down got a raise. Later, I worked at another
>> non-union plant. Same thing. In fact, I earned more (at 17) that year
>> than my dad did as a catheter at maximum salary. I never told him,
>> though. As union power has diminished, so has real income for the bottom
>> 60%. A good deal of that damage was self-inflicted by voters who
>> supported "right to work" laws.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Real income has continually gone down mainly due to the great hidden tax
- inflation - which has been rampant ever since we went off the silver
standard in ... 1965 I think.

> Most unionized jobs in the US are in the public sector, anymore.

And these public sector unions must be abolished, asap. Hopefully Trump
is aware of that and will do the nasty.

Even the Great Usurper, FDR, was strongly against public employees being
able to unionize (at least in the same way and with the same powers as
private unions - that he obviously was in favor of), and for good reason...

> The private sector unionization was vanquished under the watchful and
> protective tutelage of BigCorp and complicit pols under the guise of ...
> wait for it ... free market economics.

Unions have long served their purposes in the United States. I have no
problem with them, as long as membership is voluntary, Which is the
meaning of a 'Right to Work' State.

Today, with Social Media and online Review sites, it is basically
impossible for any employer to get away with what some of them (not all
by any stretch) got away with in our early days.