Web lists-archives.com

Re: King Donald

On 2017-02-05 15:01, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Disaster Master graced us with on
2/5/2017 10:48 AM:
On 2/4/2017, 4:17:46 AM, Ron Hunter <rphunter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In my limited experience, larger classrooms generate poorer results.
Ideal class size is 12 to 15.  I have had as many as 48!  Unmanageable!
I think such a blanket statement belies erroneous thinking.

Ooops, DM is saying the opposite of what he means.

The fact is, education is not and never will be 'one size fits all'.

Well, duh!

Different people learn differently, and 'modern' educational systems
simply cannot take this into account.

The reason this fact of life is not taken into account is that dealing with students in terms of their differences is damn expensive. That's why private schools that offer such individualised learning cost more.

BTW, Dear Disaster Master, Finland (like all Scandinavian countries) solves a major difference by assessing all children starting at around age 3-4, and admitting them to school when they are ready for it. They have staggered intake to make that possible. In the typical US 1st grade you have as much as one year chronological age differences, and often double that in developmental differences. IOW, a 15% to 30% difference in readiness to learn. But of course you wouldn't waste your time finding that out. You already know all you need to know.

Have a good day,

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com