Web lists-archives.com

Re: King Donald

My bloviated meandering follows what Disaster Master graced us with on 2/5/2017 10:48 AM:
On 2/4/2017, 4:17:46 AM, Ron Hunter <rphunter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In my limited experience, larger classrooms generate poorer results. Ideal class size is 12 to 15. I have had as many as 48! Unmanageable!

I think such a blanket statement belies erroneous thinking.

The fact is, education is not and never will be 'one size fits all'.
Different people learn differently, and 'modern' educational systems
simply cannot take this into account.

Some children do better in very strict, structured irl (in real life)
scenarios, and would fail miserably in a less structured environment.
Others can be the exact opposite, with most falling somewhere in
between, possibly even varying by subject matter.

What is needed, as I said, is a paradigm shift - a new way of thinking
with respect to education. Removing the federal govt from central
control, and giving it back to the States, and then the Local
communities, will allow for many thousands of experiments to take place,
quickly nailing down many different ways to successfully teach that will
far exceed the current methods.

What I would envision happening is a system for determining under what
circumstances different people thrive, and enabling each student to
engage in a custom program tailored just for them.

Some online classes for some subjects for some people could be in the
hundreds, or even thousands. Some may be limited to 5 or 10 per teacher,
and some may be much better off going to a physical location for some or
even all of their classes.

All I'm saying is, the current system has been shown to not work, and is
even damaging in many cases.

Agreed, more at:
REF: https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_changing_education_paradigms

--