Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Prisons and population growth (Was Re: King Donald)

On 02/05/2017 11:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 2/5/2017 8:23 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-05 03:13, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 2/4/2017 8:55 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-04 17:14, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 2/4/2017 3:43 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-04 13:31, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 2/4/2017 9:53 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
[...]
It's nice to see [prison populations] are down in Texas also, or
isn't there anything
they WANT there.

Oh, then why do about 5000 people a day manage to come across our
southern border, and more that that move to Texas from other states
each
day!
Let's see, that comes to about 1.8 million coming across the southern
border every year. You say "more than that" from elsewhere in the USA,
so if they all stay in Texas, that's at least 3,600,000 per year.
Or at
least a 13% annual growth rate for Texas. Or about 170% over a 5-year
census period. That would mean that in 2021, Texas will have a
population of about 47 million people.

The arithmetic shows that your numbers are dubious (I'm being polite).

I checked growth rate for the last US census period here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_growth_rate

Have a good day,

Nope.  You make an assumption, completely unfounded, that all the
people
who come across the long Texas/Mexico border stay here.  They don't,
fortunately.

Texas has a population growth rate that would show MUCH
higher, were it not for the fact that illegals carefully avoid census
takers, for obvious reasons.
I made an inference, from your "... and more than that move to Texas..",
which implies that the context is people moving into Texas. But OK, I'll
run the arithmetic only on those moving to Texas from elsewhere,
instead.

Pay attention:

If we ignore the unknown number of border crossers that stay, that still
leaves "more than 5,000/day" moving into Texas which amounts to at least
6%/year, or about 42% over 6 years, the same interval as shown in the
table I linked to. That table estimates a growth rate of about 10.8%
from 2010 to 2016.

The numbers are still crazy. And that's without illegals.

They don't ALL stay, legals, or those from other states. ][...]

You said "moving into Texas."

Next time you want to post a number, do the arithmetic first.

You can leave, until you are in a place.  Some stay, some move again,
and some are passing through.  You don't know where they are going, or
how long they may stay.

2011 	  	  	25674681 	311591917
2012 	  	  	26059203 	313914040
2013 	  	  	26448193 	316128839
2014 	  	  	26956958 	318857056
2015 	  	  	27469114 	321418820

Here are the figures.  About .5 million a year population growth,
compare with the last column which is the US population. About 1/6 of
the total US population growth goes to Texas. Is that not impressive?
And, even with illegals (not generally in the numbers), we still manage
to maintain an unemployment figure below national averages.

In other words they are not stealing many, if any, jobs.

--
Caver1