Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Yemen (wasRe: King Donald)

My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on 2/4/2017 11:42 PM:

<snip />

Most rising prices are due to labor costs. Look at any business that uses lots of workers, and you will see that clearly. Even those costs for materials, and transportation boil down to cost of wages. Why do you think businesses are moving steadily toward more mechanization?

And yet, US middle-class wages have stagnated since 1973 even though productivity has skyrocketed. Why more mechanization? For MORE profits, of course.

Yes, American workers have priced themselves out of almost all of the
3rd world workforce markets. Remind me again, why is making 10 cents to
the dollar wages something to aspire to?

Never said it was. Unions are responsible for this short-sighted view. They see wages as the main point, rather than working conditions, safety, and rules. Look at the companies with the highest employee satisfaction. It is the overall work environment, coupled with a reasonable pay level, that generates a satisfied worker. Lots of details that don't seem to be in reports, like an attitude of working together, openness in management, and really valuing the individual, go into worker satisfaction, NOT just the money.

Not just money but certainly not at the exclusion of money. A "reasonable pay level" is one that's not decreasing substantially in value over years which is what has happened for middle-class workers and, I might add, was a major reason Trump is POTUS today.

--
Sailfish