Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Yemen (wasRe: King Donald)

On 02/04/2017 09:33 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-04 19:48, Caver1 wrote:
The  Foxconn Shenzhen factory has at least 300,000 workers
and Foxconn has somewhere near 1,000,000 employees total. So
60,000 is no big deal to them

True, but the significant part of the story is that those 60K workers
were replaced by robots. One small step.... They were (relatively)
expensive workers, IOW. Foxconn is planning more of the same in future,
and says it will be retraining its workers for higher-value-added work.
Well, that last bit sounds good:
http://fortune.com/2016/05/26/foxconn-factory-robot-workers/

Foxconn is said to be planning a $7 billion spend on a US factory for
making displays:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/01/23/foxconn-may-build-7b-plant-us/96945414/

Since US workers will cost more than Chinese ones, expect this plant to
be as fully automated as possible. Foxconn is also spending money on
robotics R&D. I expect that the US plant, if built, will be a testbed
for robotics as well. Question: Will this foreign manufacturer benefit
from the same tax cuts and deregulation as American ones?

Who knows. DT has already threatened Toyota and I think it was BMW not to build factories in Mexico.

--
Caver1