Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Prisons and population growth (Was Re: King Donald)

On 2/4/2017 8:55 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-04 17:14, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 2/4/2017 3:43 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-04 13:31, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 2/4/2017 9:53 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
[...]
It's nice to see [prison populations] are down in Texas also, or
isn't there anything
they WANT there.

Oh, then why do about 5000 people a day manage to come across our
southern border, and more that that move to Texas from other states
each
day!

Let's see, that comes to about 1.8 million coming across the southern
border every year. You say "more than that" from elsewhere in the USA,
so if they all stay in Texas, that's at least 3,600,000 per year. Or at
least a 13% annual growth rate for Texas. Or about 170% over a 5-year
census period. That would mean that in 2021, Texas will have a
population of about 47 million people.

The arithmetic shows that your numbers are dubious (I'm being polite).

I checked growth rate for the last US census period here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_growth_rate

Have a good day,

Nope.  You make an assumption, completely unfounded, that all the people
who come across the long Texas/Mexico border stay here.  They don't,
fortunately.

Texas has a population growth rate that would show MUCH
higher, were it not for the fact that illegals carefully avoid census
takers, for obvious reasons.

I made an inference, from your "... and more than that move to Texas..",
which implies that the context is people moving into Texas. But OK, I'll
run the arithmetic only on those moving to Texas from elsewhere, instead.

Pay attention:

If we ignore the unknown number of border crossers that stay, that still
leaves "more than 5,000/day" moving into Texas which amounts to at least
6%/year, or about 42% over 6 years, the same interval as shown in the
table I linked to. That table estimates a growth rate of about 10.8%
from 2010 to 2016.

The numbers are still crazy. And that's without illegals.

They don't ALL stay, legals, or those from other states. We have a large number of workers who are going from job to job around the country looking for that perfect job, and it isn't just the bottom economic tier, either. But check population growth for Dallas/Fort Worth, and Houston, San Antonio, and Austin. I'll ignore El Paso, because it might be mostly illegals. Not all the growth is people coming in, as some of our people still find security in making lots of babies, or maybe it because they have no jobs, and get bored...