Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Yemen (wasRe: King Donald)

On 2/4/2017 5:16 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-04 13:36, Ron Hunter wrote:
[...]
It is pretty obvious you don't belief in free enterprise, or profits, or
a free market.  Sorry, but Bernie didn't win..

If by "you" you mean me, you're mistaken. I don't believe that free
enterprise gives licence to robber barons, or absolves businesses from
social responsibility.

As for profits, that's an ambiguous term. Big business has been very
successful at confusing the issue. For an owner-operated business,
"profit" is the owner's personal income. For a corporation, "profit" is
something quite different.

As for the free market: I wish there were such a thing. But all markets
are skewed. The most obvious skew is incomplete information. The theory
is that prices reflect costs, but they don't. Both direct and indirect
subsidies cause incorrect prices, which means incorrect information,
which means more or less distorted values. it's the values that
determine purchase decisions.

NO, that was directed at Sailfish.
I agree with you that there are many not so obvious causes for high prices, not the least of which is the obscene amounts of money paid to incompetent, and careless CEOs and others at the upper levels of management, and their contracts that aren't based on success, or merit, or even reason. Having worked for two companies that went bankrupt, one for incompetent management that wouldn't move into the twentieth century (even in the 1980s), and another with a CEO who was colluding with another company to get out of paying billions. It has only taken 14 years for him to drive the new company into bankruptcy too, yet he makes millions a year, still! I have little stomach for upper management of companies that use their position to destroy companies, while taking as much for themselves as possible, and leaving employees out in the cold.