Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Yemen (wasRe: King Donald)

On 2017-02-04 13:36, Ron Hunter wrote:
[...]
It is pretty obvious you don't belief in free enterprise, or profits, or
a free market.  Sorry, but Bernie didn't win..

If by "you" you mean me, you're mistaken. I don't believe that free enterprise gives licence to robber barons, or absolves businesses from social responsibility.

As for profits, that's an ambiguous term. Big business has been very successful at confusing the issue. For an owner-operated business, "profit" is the owner's personal income. For a corporation, "profit" is something quite different.

As for the free market: I wish there were such a thing. But all markets are skewed. The most obvious skew is incomplete information. The theory is that prices reflect costs, but they don't. Both direct and indirect subsidies cause incorrect prices, which means incorrect information, which means more or less distorted values. it's the values that determine purchase decisions.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com