Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Teachers (Was:Re: King Donald)

On 2/2/2017 4:34 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
Wolf K. wrote:
Disaster Master wrote:

In addition we would need to abolish Teachers Unions, and engage in some
form of merit system.

There is, it's called the salary grid: the rows align with
qualifications, the columns with years of experience.

Years of experience and training don't necessarily reflect the aptitude
of the teacher to teach effectively.

Absolutely! One can learn some techniques, and methods, and processes, but the talent to teach is a whole other thing. It is the difference between taking a lot of art courses, and BEING Da Vinci!

It is hard to believe that with all of the 'structure' and associated
expenses surrounding the teaching business/profession, that that
structure can't be made to be effective at evaluating how adept a
teacher is at accomplishing teaching goals.

We all know there is enormous variability in the substrate of student
makeup and ongoing variability in defining exactly what should be taught
and tremendous corruption in the acquisition of materials to teach with,
but still, the concept of 'merit' should be based on some important
metric besides how many years some incompetent teacher has been
functioning incompetently or how much time the same inept person decided
to spend in school instead of or in addition to actually teaching.