Web lists-archives.com

Re: King Donald

On 2/2/2017 9:44 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
On Wed Feb 01 2017 18:08:55 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Wolf K.
<wolfmac@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And why would parents and local government have a better understanding
of how to educate children?

No one is saying that local parents and/or governments currently have a
better understanding.

But given the opportunity, I guarantee they would quickly develop one,
motivated by one very powerful and overriding reason: because it is
their children's futures at stake.

Sure, some locales will do better than others, and some will fail
miserably, but that is the beauty of such a distributed system. It will
be a melting pot of experiments, and the systems that fail will look
around at what is working for others, and emulate them, sometimes even
improving on them.

Such a system would, within a few years, maybe 10 or 15 at most, put us
at the very top of the list.

This, in fact, is precisely why things like education, abortion, drugs,
etc, are supposed to be STATE issues - because none of them fall within
the purview of the Constitutionally delegated powers of the Federal
Government.

If you want to know something about how a school system should be run,
look at Finland.

Maybe one day if/when I have time, I will, or maybe you could save some
of us some time and highlight what you consider the main reason(s) their
system is so successful (assuming it really is).

Some interesting figures from Finland. 7.2% of the GDP is spent on education. 19 years for males, 20 for females. Mean age at first child, 28 years! Sounds great, but is it? 20% unemployment. Population is 84% urban, mostly in the southern part of the country.
GDP 2% agriculture, 27% industry, 70% services.
Population, just over 5 million.  We have CITIES larger.
Comparisons are pretty much impossible.