Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Yemen (wasRe: King Donald)

On 2017-02-03 16:36, »Q« wrote:
In <news:gIKdnY_o0qQVdgnFnZ2dnUU7-TGdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
The Real Bev <bashley101+moz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/03/2017 10:59 AM, Sailfish wrote:
2/3/2017 10:54 AM:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lede

So a typo/stupidity has been propagated since 1951?  I guess I
can't blame Obama, then :-(

G.W, then?

Ike.  I think.

Harry.  Ike wasn't POTUS until 1953.

Maybe M-W is right about the use of the alternate spelling in printing
dating to 1951, but the alternate spelling goes back to at least the
14th century, according to Safire.  He also notes that Samuel Johnson
didn't care for the use of lead/lede as a noun with this meaning,
calling "it a low despicable word."

<http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/18/magazine/on-language-hed-folo-my-lede-unhed.html>

I think "lede" became current in news printing because "lead" (rime with "led") refers typesetting, so "lede" helps reduce mistakes. Both terms would be written on the galleys.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com