»Q« decreed, Read These Runes!:
> In <news:gIKdnY_o0qQVdgnFnZ2dnUU7-TGdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
> The Real Bev <bashley101+moz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 02/03/2017 10:59 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> > My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>> > 2/3/2017 10:54 AM:

>> > G.W, then?
>>
>> Ike.  I think.
>
> Harry.  Ike wasn't POTUS until 1953.
>
> Maybe M-W is right about the use of the alternate spelling in printing
> dating to 1951, but the alternate spelling goes back to at least the
> 14th century, according to Safire.  He also notes that Samuel Johnson
> didn't care for the use of lead/lede as a noun with this meaning,
> calling "it a low despicable word."
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/18/magazine/on-language-hed-folo-my-lede-unhed.html>

Thanks for the link.  I had forgotten how much I loved reading Safire in
days gone buy.

My earlier use of lede results from too much reading of James Taranto
formerly of the WSJ's daily Best Of The Web.  He too is a wordsmith with
a quirky sense of humor.

I doubt that I would use lede in any context outside of journalism.  I
guess that means I consider Scott Pelley a journalist.  I'll have to
think about that for a bit.

Rinaldi
--
"Last week a cop stopped me in my car.  He asked me if I had a police
record.  I said, no, but I have the new DEVO album.  Cops have no sense