Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Teachers (Was:Re: King Donald)

On 2017-02-03 11:09, Disaster Master wrote:
On 2/2/2017, 5:19:22 PM, Wolf K. <wolfmac@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2017-02-02 15:18, Disaster Master wrote:
On Thu Feb 02 2017 03:53:46 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Ron Hunter
<rphunter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Some way to accurately assess the efficiency of teachers, and teaching
methods, IS needed.  Is testing the students the right way?  I don't
think so.  It ends up with teachers who have to 'teach to the test',
rather than teaching the curriculum.
After 5 years subbing in three districts, I came away with a pretty good
idea of what ISN'T working.  We need some better ideas.
The above is a good idea, but without a penalty clause, fails miserably.

In addition we would need to abolish Teachers Unions, and engage in some
form of merit system.
There is, it's called the salary grid: the rows align with
qualifications, the columns with years of experience. In Ontario, it
takes a graduate degree or equivalent plus 10 to 12 years experience to
reach maximum pay. Theoretically, that could be done in 18 years or so
after high school, but most teachers start at a lower level, and take
summer school and evening classes to add qualifications.
Sorry, but that is not anything like a true merit system, that is the
tired old 'seniority' system, and that, along with the Unions, must go

Ah, yes, and you are the oddball expert who has no qualifications and no experience, right? Pure merit, in other words.

Anyhow, you've missed the point. The fact is that the grid system works. Canada outranks the USA on every international test and measure, and all Provinces have a grid system. What's more (are you sitting down?), the teachers' unions control qualifications. During my career, teachers' unions have raised the entrance qualifications, and pressured the education schools to improve training. 50 years ago, two weeks of "practice teaching" was considered enough, according to the faculty. The teacher knew otherwise. Now it's a total of three months.

The point is, what's your notion of how to find "good and poor" teachers, as another poster termed it?

And here's the crunch question:

Are you a teacher? Were you ever one? If you were a good teacher, why didn't you stay in the profession? And if you aren't a teacher, why not?

Have a good day,

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com