Web lists-archives.com

Re: King Donald

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 03:06:10 -0600, in mozilla.general, Ron Hunter wrote:

>On 2/1/2017 3:51 PM, Hartdonor wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 13:28:56 -0500, in mozilla.general, Disaster Master
>> wrote:

>>> It is hilarious the abject fear some people have of Trump.
>>>
>>> He has done nothing - absolutely NOTHING - to justify such a charge.
>>
>> I think you'll find that his praise of Vladimir Putin as a "strong
>> leader" has people thinking that maybe he'll emulate Vladimir Putin.
>> True, he has DONE nothing. What he has SAID, however... Well, I don't
>> think he thinks things through before they pass his lips. During the
>> campaign, it was hard to tell what we should take seriously.
>>
>> But now that he's the President, everything he says and does should be
>> taken seriously. The Bully Pulpit is a real thing. Saying things as a
>> President is action.
>>
>> And when he praised Vladimir Putin, he praised an autocrat at the head of
>> corrupt oligarchy and beyond that imagination is a powerful thing, and
>> Trump has repeatedly defended Putin. To satisfy those people's
>> imaginations, he is going to have to demonstrate a respect for the rule
>> of law, and this immigration "pause" EO (I agree that it is disingenous
>> to call it a "Muslim ban," even if that was the intent), signed before
>> Mattis or Kelly knew it even existed (they say they found out from the
>> MSM) and without the input and partnership of leaders of key agencies
>> affected by the order, does not do much to mollify those ruminations.
>>
>> He is behaving like his word is law and everyone else must adjust,
>> including principle affected agencies in our government. He claims that
>> the Acting AG "betrayed" the Justice Department. That's a word I expect
>> in Venezuelan politics, not here. He should be working *with* our
>> government. I don't understand why talking to Mattis or Kelly about this,
>> both who can absolutely be relied upon to keep the matter confidential as
>> a matter of strategy, was deemed to be telegraphing our intent to the
>> enemy. His method of making this policy was autocratic in style, so some
>> people immediately think of Putin, and they wonder.
>>
>> I can't fault them for wondering. Trump is acting like he is CEO of the
>> U.S., not its President. This is what happens when you elect an
>> "outsider." He has demonstrated that he doesn't understand basic civics.
>>
>Yes, Putin is a 'strong leader', but then so was Adolf Hitler, and
>Attila the Hun.  But then so was FDR, and Harry Truman.  So what is your
>point?

...and, if you are going to say Putin is a strong leader, and you have
some idea of what you're doing, you say something like this:

"Putin is a decisive, aggressive leader advancing the cause of the
Russian people, and therefore requires a decisive, strong leader in the
United States to either build upon or oppose that leadership. If we are
not strong in response, America will lose standing. I will grow America's
global influence, not abdicate the responsibility as the Obama
administration did."

And you do so in more "Trumpy" language and not in my words, which are
more academic in style.

You don't just call him a "strong leader" without commmenting if he is
Abraham Lincoln (who was decidedly autocratic at times) or Attila the
Hun.

--
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.