Web lists-archives.com

Re: King Donald

On 2/1/2017 8:27 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-01 14:41, Disaster Master wrote:
On Wed Feb 01 2017 14:35:43 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Wolf K.
On 2017-02-01 10:51, Disaster Master wrote:
[...]
3. The word 'muslim' doesn't appear anywhere in the EO.
[...]

Ah, a literalist.

As opposed to.... what exactly? A delusionist?

Nope, just someone who understands how language works. In addition to
the usual Lang & Lit stuff (metaphor, simile, etc) you should know about
the seven types of ambiguity, satiric and non-satiric masking, allusion,
semasiology, register, jargon, etc, and use that knowledge to figure out
the multiple levels and tangles of all discourse, and political
discourse in particular. A good guide to how to do this is Orwell's
"Politics and the English Language", which is just as relevant now as it
has ever been. Here's one source:

https://www.utdallas.edu/~aria/research/resources/orwell.pdf

Have a good day,

I don't have the detailed knowledge that you seem to, but I do have concerns about his language. Though he and the Queen superficially speak the same language, they may have trouble understanding each other.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman