Web lists-archives.com

Re: King Donald

On 2/1/2017 8:27 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-01 14:41, Disaster Master wrote:
On Wed Feb 01 2017 14:35:43 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Wolf K.
On 2017-02-01 10:51, Disaster Master wrote:
3. The word 'muslim' doesn't appear anywhere in the EO.

Ah, a literalist.

As opposed to.... what exactly? A delusionist?

Nope, just someone who understands how language works. In addition to
the usual Lang & Lit stuff (metaphor, simile, etc) you should know about
the seven types of ambiguity, satiric and non-satiric masking, allusion,
semasiology, register, jargon, etc, and use that knowledge to figure out
the multiple levels and tangles of all discourse, and political
discourse in particular. A good guide to how to do this is Orwell's
"Politics and the English Language", which is just as relevant now as it
has ever been. Here's one source:

Have a good day,

I don't have the detailed knowledge that you seem to, but I do have concerns about his language. Though he and the Queen superficially speak the same language, they may have trouble understanding each other.

Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman
general mailing list