Web lists-archives.com

Re: King Donald

On 2017-02-01 16:20, Disaster Master wrote:
On Wed Feb 01 2017 15:00:53 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Wolf K.
<wolfmac@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
She is adamantly opposed to 'Common Core', strongly supporting local
control and home schooling.
Yes, I know. Watch the US system fall even further behind the rest of
the world.

You have it backwards. It is the ridiculous federal control of our
schools that has caused us to fall so far behind. It has gotten worse
and worse with each passing year.

Putting control back where it belongs (the hands of the parents and
local govt) will fix things up nicely.

And why would parents and local government have a better understanding of how to educate children?

I don't know how far back your memory or experience goes. I was a school teacher for over 30 years. Believe me, the decline in the quality of the US school system goes way back. Canada has not, thank the Random Factor, followed all the US fads, but unfortunately, testing one of them. That, and the general distrust of teachers, the abysmal pay, and most of all the lack of professional autonomy have guaranteed that you have one of the worst systems in the world.

If you want to know something about how a school system should be run, look at Finland. And the n maybe you'll understand why I think your new Education Secretary will be a disaster.

Have a good day,

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com