Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get

On 7/25/2017 2:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Earnie via MinGW-users <mingw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Why the aversion to the DLL anyway?  It seems to me that the users would
>> prefer the DLL in practice.  There is nothing preventing the users from
>> distributing that DLL with their application binaries.  Is it that
>> packaging the required DLL needs work?
> See above.  In addition, distributing such executables might mean one
> has to make the source of the DLL available nearby, which is one more
> hassle.  Maybe in this case it isn't so, but your question was a
> general one.  E.g., a dependency on the libgcc DLL is a _major_
> hassle, because you need to make the entire GCC source tarball
> available, per the GPL.

Well the distribution of software source is a prerequisite to most of
the open source binaries you might distribute.  Requiring the source
distribution for a binary distribution is what GNU is about.  The
aversion to that would be to choose to not use open source.  But I know
you know that already so I'm stating this for those who might stumble on
this post.  I will also state that distributing libmingex-0.dll does not
have the GPL restriction to distribute its source as its license isn't
covered by the GPL.

MinGW-users mailing list