Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get

On 25/07/17 19:26, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 17:46:20 +0100
>> From: Keith Marshall via MinGW-users <mingw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> If you are going to leave cc1.exe dependent on libmingwex-0.dll,
>>> please put that DLL under libexec, where cc1.exe lives, so that it is
>>> not visible to "normal" MinGW builds,
>>
>> Why?  The natural location is $MINGW_ROOT/bin, and I've no intention of
>> building degenerate packages to put it elsewhere.
>
> I don't see why this makes the package degenerate in any sense of the
> word.  If anything, cc1.exe will load a bit faster, and nothing else
> will suffer.  What am I missing here?

It makes the package degenerate because libmingwex-0.dll is *not* part
of GCC ... it is an optional part of mingwrt, (or MinGW.org WSL, if you
consider it to be a part of our w32api/mingwrt composite).  As such, its
natural installation path is somewhere within /mingw/{bin,include,lib},
*not* hidden away in some GCC private directory.

And yes, if it were to be hidden away in a private GCC directory, it
*would* break *any* user-built application, where the user has exercised
the option to link against libmingwex.dll.a, and that application is
then installed, as a standard MinGW-built application, in /mingw/bin.

> But it's okay to disagree, as I always can move the DLL after
> installing the package.

Sure.  For the convenience of users who prefer to use mingw-get to
manage their installations, and who may wish to link libmingex-0.dll
into their own applications too, I will package it for installation
as $MINGW_ROOT/bin/libmingwex-0.dll.  I know you don't use mingw-get
anyway, and as you say, you can always move it anywhere else you may
prefer to put it.

- --
Regards,
Keith.