Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get

> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 17:46:20 +0100
> From: Keith Marshall via MinGW-users <mingw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > If you are going to leave cc1.exe dependent on libmingwex-0.dll,
> > please put that DLL under libexec, where cc1.exe lives, so that it is
> > not visible to "normal" MinGW builds,
> Why?  The natural location is $MINGW_ROOT/bin, and I've no intention of
> building degenerate packages to put it elsewhere.

I don't see why this makes the package degenerate in any sense of the
word.  If anything, cc1.exe will load a bit faster, and nothing else
will suffer.  What am I missing here?

> > That's what I do here.
> That's your prerogative, but it's non-standard, and unnecessary.

I think compartmentalizing DLLs that are only needed by programs not
on PATH makes a system that is safer and less complex to maintain.
But it's okay to disagree, as I always can move the DLL after
installing the package.

MinGW-users mailing list