Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get

> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:44:34 -0400
> From: Earnie via MinGW-users <mingw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Earnie <earnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > If you are going to leave cc1.exe dependent on libmingwex-0.dll,
> > please put that DLL under libexec, where cc1.exe lives, so that it is
> > not visible to "normal" MinGW builds, in case people don't want to
> > link against the DLL by default.  That's what I do here.
> >

> Why would making the DLL public from /mingw/bin make it a requirement if
> the user uses -static builds?  If the user wants to ensure that the DLL
> is never required then removing/renaming libmingwex.dll.a would be more
> of the answer than hiding the DLL itself.

I didn't say it was a requirement.  But having a DLL on PATH that is
actually needed only by executables that are not on PATH means you are
a step closer than necessary to a DLL hell.  It doesn't seem
economical to me, and it makes system maintenance a tad more complex.

> Why the aversion to the DLL anyway?  It seems to me that the users would
> prefer the DLL in practice.  There is nothing preventing the users from
> distributing that DLL with their application binaries.  Is it that
> packaging the required DLL needs work?

See above.  In addition, distributing such executables might mean one
has to make the source of the DLL available nearby, which is one more
hassle.  Maybe in this case it isn't so, but your question was a
general one.  E.g., a dependency on the libgcc DLL is a _major_
hassle, because you need to make the entire GCC source tarball
available, per the GPL.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.