Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] GCC-6.3 now available via mingw-get

On 7/25/2017 10:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:37:20 +0100
>> From: Keith Marshall via MinGW-users <mingw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Cc: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> You are correct[*].  It was not intended to be so, but is that so bad?
>> We have two choices: quickest, and easiest, would be to update the XML
>> catalogue, to include the dependency; alternatively, I could rebuild the
>> whole kit and caboodle, to eliminate the dependency, which would take
>> rather a longer time.
>>
>> Which would you prefer?
>>
>> [*]: Checking in my build directory:
>>
>> $ mingw32-ldd dist/staged/libexec/gcc/mingw32/6.3.0/cc1.exe
>> dist/staged/libexec/gcc/mingw32/6.3.0/cc1.exe
>>  +- ADVAPI32.DLL
>>  +- KERNEL32.dll
>>  +- libmingwex-0.dll
>>  |   +- msvcrt.dll
>>  |   +- msvcrt.dll
>>  |   +- ADVAPI32.DLL
>>  |   +- KERNEL32.dll
>
> If you are going to leave cc1.exe dependent on libmingwex-0.dll,
> please put that DLL under libexec, where cc1.exe lives, so that it is
> not visible to "normal" MinGW builds, in case people don't want to
> link against the DLL by default.  That's what I do here.

Why would making the DLL public from /mingw/bin make it a requirement if
the user uses -static builds?  If the user wants to ensure that the DLL
is never required then removing/renaming libmingwex.dll.a would be more
of the answer than hiding the DLL itself.

Why the aversion to the DLL anyway?  It seems to me that the users would
prefer the DLL in practice.  There is nothing preventing the users from
distributing that DLL with their application binaries.  Is it that
packaging the required DLL needs work?

--
Earnie

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.