Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] dumb newbie question

On 17/07/2017 14:16, Earnie via MinGW-users wrote:
On 7/16/2017 10:48 PM, mike wrote:
On 17/07/2017 03:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: mike <mikereape@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:28:11 +0100

So I've installed MinGW and MSYS okay and I can run MSYS and it sees
the MinGW executables just fine
AFAICT but I can't figure out how to change the MinGW pwd or cwd in
the MSYS shell to my Windows home
directory/folder (C:\Users\Mike) which is where my source to be built
will be.
The MSYS notation for C:\Users\Mike is /c/Users/Mike.  Is that the
answer you were looking for?
That is exactly the answer I was looking for.  Just tried it.  Thank you
very much.
It doesn't seem to work like it does if I execute for example

   (defun cygwin-shell ()
   "Run cygwin bash in shell mode."
   (interactive)
   (let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash"))
   (call-interactively 'shell)))

in the *scratch* buffer in native Windows Gnu Emacs where I would
just do "M-x cygwin-shell" and then do
"cd /cygdrive/c" in the shell but then since MSYS is presumably
different from Cygwin (although I know it's
based on it) I wouldn't expect it to anyway and I can't remember how
to do it in straight recent Cygwin outside
of Emacs either cause everything changed a while back.
This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.
Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would
you use to do editing while using MSYS?  Vim?  Pico?  Nano?

The only issue here is that of a path POSIX versus WINDOWS.  If you
don't create files that contain POSIX paths that are then executed by
your native Emacs you should be fine.

I use native gvim for my editing choice.

Thanks very much for that important feedback. I'm sure I'm going to run up against that issue in like the next 24 hours. (Sometimes the wheels of time run slow.)

Best

Mike

--
I *AM* a unique and special snowflake