Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] dumb newbie question

On 17/07/2017 03:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: mike <mikereape@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:28:11 +0100

So I've installed MinGW and MSYS okay and I can run MSYS and it sees the MinGW executables just fine
AFAICT but I can't figure out how to change the MinGW pwd or cwd in the MSYS shell to my Windows home
directory/folder (C:\Users\Mike) which is where my source to be built will be.
The MSYS notation for C:\Users\Mike is /c/Users/Mike.  Is that the
answer you were looking for?

That is exactly the answer I was looking for. Just tried it. Thank you very much.

It doesn't seem to work like it does if I execute for example

  (defun cygwin-shell ()
  "Run cygwin bash in shell mode."
  (interactive)
  (let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash"))
  (call-interactively 'shell)))

in the *scratch* buffer in native Windows Gnu Emacs where I would just do "M-x cygwin-shell" and then do
"cd /cygdrive/c" in the shell but then since MSYS is presumably different from Cygwin (although I know it's
based on it) I wouldn't expect it to anyway and I can't remember how to do it in straight recent Cygwin outside
of Emacs either cause everything changed a while back.
This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.

Oh aye I know all about that but since you raised the issue what would you use to do editing while using MSYS? Vim? Pico? Nano?

Thank you very much for your assistance

Best regards
Mike

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.