Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] dumb newbie question

> From: mike <mikereape@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:28:11 +0100
>
> So I've installed MinGW and MSYS okay and I can run MSYS and it sees the MinGW executables just fine
> AFAICT but I can't figure out how to change the MinGW pwd or cwd in the MSYS shell to my Windows home
> directory/folder (C:\Users\Mike) which is where my source to be built will be.

The MSYS notation for C:\Users\Mike is /c/Users/Mike.  Is that the
answer you were looking for?

> It doesn't seem to work like it does if I execute for example
>
>  (defun cygwin-shell ()
>  "Run cygwin bash in shell mode."
>  (interactive)
>  (let ((explicit-shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash"))
>  (call-interactively 'shell)))
>
> in the *scratch* buffer in native Windows Gnu Emacs where I would just do "M-x cygwin-shell" and then do
> "cd /cygdrive/c" in the shell but then since MSYS is presumably different from Cygwin (although I know it's
> based on it) I wouldn't expect it to anyway and I can't remember how to do it in straight recent Cygwin outside
> of Emacs either cause everything changed a while back.

This is OT here, but I won't recommend using the MSYS shell together
with a native Windows build of Emacs, as they have subtle
incompatibilities, e.g. regarding file names.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.