Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] mingw setup and post-install

On 15/07/2017 07:43, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: mike <mikereape@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 22:38:17 +0100

I have been trying to install MinGW.  No matter what I do I get the
Basic Setup and I can't figure out how to install all packages under All
Packages via the MinGW Installation Manager post-install.  In particular
I can't get any of the doc or lic files for example and no it is not a
PATH variable issue.  The packages just aren't there under c:\MinGW\bin
and c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin.
The last sentence puzzles me: the doc and lic parts of the packages
don't get installed under bin/, they are typically under share/.  Are
you sure you are looking in the right places, and if so, why are you
talking about the bin/ directories?

Hi Eli

That's not the best post I ever wrote.  Sorry for not being clearer.

I meant I couldn't select all the doc and lic files at one time in the Installation Manager not that they end up in ...\bin. That was just an example. Another is that mingw32-gcc-g++, etc. in MinGW Base System have to be manually selected.

What I was hoping for is something like Cygwin's install everything via setup-x86.exe or setup-x86_64.exe. ("Clicking on the "Default" label next to the "All" category to change it to "Install" will mark every Cygwin package for installation." from https://cygwin.com/install.html)

This is really just a GUI question. How can I select everything without having to go through the error prone (and laborious) process of having to manually select everything I want?

FWIW describing Cygwin as an emulation layer was also a poor choice of words. What I meant was that it uses a dynamically loaded runtime. That's precisely what I want to get away from. I just want static linking presumably of just what is required for any GNU program being built to run on Windows so that what is being built is as standalone as possible (within reason). I am aware of the tradeoffs.

Mike

--
I *AM* a unique and special snowflake

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.