Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] clock_gettime

Apologies for the delayed reply ... this seems to have slipped under
my radar.

> On 2017-05-29 00:38, DAVENPORT, MARC wrote:
>> Is there any chance of clock_gettime being implemented in MinGW?

I think I've said this before; (if not, I've certainly alluded to it):
your best chance of getting such requests accepted is to file them as
"Feature Requests", at https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/new/, and
then invite other users to vote for them, (by posting a notification
here).

>> MinGW64 has it but I don't like MinGW64.  Source code is public
>> domain.  See link below.  It would also need at least clockid_t ...

It would, if the API is to be supported; prior to POSIX.1-2008, the
entire API was optional, and even now all but CLOCK_REALTIME appear to
remain so.  In any case, right now, I would be able to offer tentative
implementations for CLOCK_REALTIME and CLOCK_MONOTONIC, but...

>> and clock_getcpuclockid.

...this may NOT be required, because a) it is required only when the
CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID option (_POSIX_CPUTIME feature) is supported,
and b) I do not currently have even a tentative implementation for it.

Notwithstanding the lack of enthusiasm exhibited here, if you'd care to
raise the appropriate "Feature Request" ticket, I'll attach my tentative
implementation for consideration.

On 29/05/17 08:30, Peter Rosin replied:
>> https://github.com/mirror/mingw-w64/blob/master/mingw-w64-libraries/winpthreads/src/clock.c#L109
>
> Hmm, their CLOCK_MONOTONIC wraps, and rather quickly too on some
> machines [1]; it's nothing more than a dirty hack as it's not
> monotonic at all.
>
> Unless I'm missing something non-obvious...

I don't know.  I haven't looked at their implementation, (nor will I),
so I cannot comment.  My tentative implementation does not appear to
exhibit any such trait: indeed, with a reported update frequency of
3,579,545 ticks per second, (on my GNU/Linux hosted WinXP VM), and a
64-bit limit of 2^63 ticks before wrap-around, it should outlive any
likely uptime cycle of the host, (or any of us, for that matter)!

- --
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.