With all due respect, I'd like to start by changing the semantics of the conversation; for that I need to clear something up. I did not write any 'makefile', I just downloaded wxWidgets and proceeded  to compile it entering, at the command prompt, the values shown in the OP. Thus, I think your statement should be 'The Makefile sets SHELL to an empty value.", or more accurately, 'wxWidgets's Makefile sets SHELL to an empty value.'

Having stated the above, how can I solve this problem or should I say, how should wxWidgets fix this problem?

Again, many thanks for taking the time.

On 2017-05-26 1:38 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Papa <papa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 11:53:37 -0400

I am trying to compile using this:
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11" BUILD=debug UNICODE=1 SHARED=1

but I get this error:
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, C:/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath/ -c "if not exist gcc_mswuddll
mkdir gcc_mswuddll", ...) failed.
make (e=5): Access is denied.

mingw32-make: [gcc_mswuddll] Error 5 (ignored)
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, C:/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath/ -c "if not exist ..\..\lib\gcc_dll
mkdir ..\..\lib\gcc_dll", ...) failed.
make (e=5): Access is denied.
Your Makefile sets SHELL to an empty value.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.