Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] CRT lib: potential memory leakage

> From: Emanuel Falkenauer <E.Falkenauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 17:20:03 +0200
>
> > First, what is the purpose of freeing memory just before the program
> > exits?  That memory will be freed by the OS anyway.
>
> Disagree. It is my sad experience that Windows in particular does NOT
> free all memory allocated in an exiting binary - it probably should, but
> does NOT. We learned it the hard way, getting gigs of RAM "reserved"
> (but not freed), until we found a few arrays we didn't free just before
> leaving, and the thing was accumulating over multiple runs of the same
> binary.

AFAIK, "reserved" memory is freed once the program exits, because it
is reserved for the process.  If you have evidence that this doesn't
happen, please show a program that can be used to demonstrate this.

I think what you saw is that memory freed by calling 'free' still
stays "reserved", and is not returned to the OS.  This is normal, but
it only happens as long as the process still runs.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.