Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] _XOPEN_SOURCE

On 4/25/2017 11:22 AM, Bryan Henderson wrote:
>> You need to update your reference material.  I'm assuming that your
>> "Linux Programmer's [Programming] Reference"
>
> I misremembered the name, and relied too much on context.  This subthread is
> about The Linux Programming Interface by Michael Kerrisk, which you cited in
> support of the proposition that source code should not define _XOPEN_SOURCE
> with a zero-length value.  I'm pointing out that you misread that reference
> and the author actually intended the opposite.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/mailman/message/35800258/

"If defined (with any value)"

If the author intended that an empty reference was valid he would not
have added "(with any value)".  An empty reference does not expand to a
value so it is therefore not valid for this macro to be defined as such.
 It is the expansion of the macro that matters and an expansion that
causes the use of the macro to result in errors in system headers is not
a valid value.

--
Earnie

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.