Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Pending new mingwrt and w32api releases

On 06/03/17 01:20, David Gressett wrote:
> It does indeed raise an unhandled exception, but such exceptions
> are handled inside the Ada runtime.

So ... the Ada runtime establishes its own default handler for
otherwise unhandled exceptions ...

> When crashdemo.exe is built with the current V3 system libraries, it
> runs with no crash and exits with as message saying that it raised
> CRASHDEMO.ERR. When run from GDB with a breakpoint set for abort, it
> runs to completion and the break does not happen.

... and that default handler gets control, as expected, for Ada
applications which are built against mingwrt/w32api-3.x, but ...

> When it is compiled with the V5 prerelease system libraries, it crashes
> inside the Ada runtime library before it can produce the CRASHDEMO.ERR
> message. When run from GDB with a breakpoint set for abort, the
> break does happen.

... it doesn't get control, for the same applications, when they
are built against a mingwrt/w32api-5.0 preview.  Apparently ...

> I have done all of this with both the current MinGW gcc 5.3.0  and with
> my experimental gcc 6.3.0, and get the same results with both.

... there is some change, introduced in mingwrt/w32api-5.0, which
interferes with the implementation of Ada's default exception
handler; we need to understand that interaction, if we are to have
any chance of resolving this issue.

FWIW, I've attached a copy of the commit log from my working clone
of the mingwrt/w32api code.  Note that the changeset numbers shown
are local to this clone, (and the hashes are mercurial's, which may
not match git hashes); V5 development begins at changeset 253, and
follows the leftmost branch of the graph, thereafter.  (Prior to
this, that leftmost branch represents V3 development, which moves
one branch to the right, after the V5 branch point).  Also note
that changeset 385, (tagged default/5.0-active, and qparent), ends
the public line of V5 development; later changesets relate to my
local patch queue, and are not included in the V5 preview.

- --
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.