Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Pending new mingwrt and w32api releases

... snip ...

> It failed, with the crash of a program that is part of the Ada
> build system: xsinfo.exe, located in my build tree at
>
> gcc-6.3.0-mingw32/gcc/ada/bldtools/sinfo/xsinfo.exe
>
> xsinfo almost completed successfully; Here are the last few
> lines that it displayed in my msys window:
>
> "Check for missing functions in body
... snip ...

> All tests completed successfully, no errors detected

>So, it appears that it may have reached the end of it's main()
>function, then failed in the termination code.

>> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in
>> an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team
>> for more information."

>That's got to be one of the least useful error messages, ever.
Agreed

>> The "unusual way" line also appeared in a Windows popup error
>> message box. I will supply more information later as I do more
>> detective work to try to find the cause of the failure.

>Did that popup message box not report a status code? Knowing
>that might have been helpful.

There was no code.

 >It's possible that this is some
>sort of latent bug in the xsinfo.exe program itself, just as it
>may be due to some change in mingwrt or w32api. Could you run
>xsinfo.exe under GDB, to determine where it is crashing? Or,
>build mingwrt and w32api from the repository, then run a git
>bisect over the changes since the last 3.x releases?

I know almost nothing about git. My first attempt at
gdb on the offending xsinfo.exe didn't turn up very much.
It is written in Ada. here is what I got on my only attempt
today. I will resume tomorrow:

$ gdb xsinfo
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.6.1
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "mingw32".
Reading symbols from c:\build_gcc-6.3.0_mingw-pkg\workspace\build3\gcc-6.3.0-mingw32\gcc\ada\bldtools\sinfo\xsinfo.exe...done.
(gdb) start
Temporary breakpoint 1 at 0x41656f
Starting program: c:\build_gcc-6.3.0_mingw-pkg\workspace\build3\gcc-6.3.0-mingw32\gcc\ada\bldtools\sinfo/xsinfo.exe
[New Thread 18324.0x5ff4]
[New Thread 18324.0x3d6c]
[New Thread 18324.0x769c]
[New Thread 18324.0x5f18]

Temporary breakpoint 1, 0x0041656f in _ada_xsinfo ()
(gdb) n
Single stepping until exit from function _ada_xsinfo,
which has no line number information.

Check for field name consistency
     OK

Check for function consistency
     OK

Check for missing functions
     OK

Check for set procedure consistency
     OK

Check for missing set procedures
     OK

Check pragma Inlines are all for existing subprograms
     OK

Check no pragma Inlines were omitted
     OK

Check references in functions in body
     OK

Check for missing functions in body
     OK

Check Set procedures in body
     OK

Check for missing set procedures in body
     OK

All tests completed successfully, no errors detected

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
[Inferior 1 (process 18324) exited with code 03]
(gdb)
The program is not being run.
(gdb)

>If you can do this, I'll hold off on the release of 5.0 for a
>couple of weeks, until we can glean some useful information
>about this crash.

How tightly bound are the win32api and the mingwrt to each other?
would it make sense to try them one at a time?

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.