Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] arguments utilised for gcc downloads

No disagreement here - "casting magic spells" is my preferred terminology.

>> export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/mingw/lib/gcc/
... snip ...
>> export SYSLIBS="--verbose -L/mingw/mingw32/lib -B/mingw/mingw32/lib"

>How many of them do you *really* need; indeed, *why* do you need
>*any* of them?

I have started experiments to find out. The manual copying of
/mingw/lib/crt2.o is not needed.  At this point, I am still using
all of the exports

>> C. Issue the actual make command that does the compilation (3).
>> This is a really long command line. I'm going to break it into pieces to
>> make it easier to read.
>>
>> make LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET="--verbose -L/mingw/mingw32/lib -B/mingw/mingw32/lib"
... snip ...
>> 2>&1 | tee ../../manual-compile.log
>>
>> You can see that there is a lot of duplication of the export commands
>> here.

>Indeed ... which begs the question: what on earth was the purpose
>of redundantly cluttering up the environment with all of them?

The long make command line is not needed - after the exports are done,
the mingw-pkg compile action works.

Once the compilation completes, (6 hours), I can then do a manual
make install specifying a staging directory. The results are the same
as my manual build with the very long make command line.

I can see from the mingw-pkg source code that there is an install
action, but I have not yet been able to get it to do anything other
than install directly to /mingw, and the result has the same
filename problems as my manual installation to a staging directory.

The next step is to start nipping out export statements until
something breaks in the build, but I want to get some work in
on the crash caused by the build attempt with the mingwrt
and w32api V5 prereleases before I start that.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.