Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] configuring msys.bat for mintty

Keith Marshall wrote:

> On 05/12/16 22:36, Earnie wrote:
>> On 12/4/2016 2:18 PM, Will Parsons wrote:
>>> I'm a long-term user of both Cygwin and MinGW/MSYS on the same system,
>>> and so like to be able to distinguish which environment I'm in by the
>>> background colour of the terminal emulator.
>>>
>>> Recently, I decided that I would like to use mintty for my MSYS work,
>>> so I changed the shortcut to  pass --mintty to msys.bat.  This works,
>>> but results in a MSYS terminal having the same appearance as a Cygwin
>>> terminal, since they both read the same ~/.minttyrc.
>
> Why is that?  It implies that you are sharing a common $HOME between
> the two systems, which seems like a bad idea.  You certainly don't want
> Cygwin and MSYS binaries visible to both; it also makes sense to keep
> the configuration files, in $HOME, strictly segregated.  By all means,
> have some directories in common, but maybe shared $HOME is a share
> too far?

I respecfully disagree.  I've been using Cygwin since about 1999; I can't
remember when I first started using MSYS, but It's been well over 10 years,
and all that time I've set the Windows environment variable HOME to one place
where all "my stuff" resides.  I've found it quite convenient to have Cygwin,
MSYS, and native-Windows Emacs have the same idea of what $HOME is.  Perhaps
I'm just careful about how I configure things.

>>> I can fix this by editing msys.bat to have:
>>>
>>> start %WD%mintty -c %HOME%/.minttyrc-msys /bin/bash -l
>>>
>>> instead of:
>>>
>>> start %WD%mintty /bin/bash -l
>>>
>>> But I'm wondering if there's a better/cleaner way of solving the
>>> problem?
>>
>> Mintty isn't supported here.  Maybe ask the maintainer for help.  He
>> just announced a new version on the Cygwin list.

I'm surprised at that statement - I obtained mintty by:

  mingw-get install mintty

and msys.bat does support a --mintty option.  At any rate, it's not a mintty
problem, but a configuration issue within MSYS.

> Well, I believe Chris Sutcliffe posted a (fairly old) copy in our FRS,
> but Chris no longer works on MinGW; like Earnie says, mintty is not a
> product we formally endorse, never mind support.  That said, if you
> really *must* integrate your Cygwin and MSYS $HOME, is there no way to
> accommodate selective configuration within $HOME/.minttyrt itself?
> Based on some environment setting which is unique to each system, say?
> If not, then the solution you have already found may just be the best
> you are likely to achieve.

OK - thanks.  I'm happy enough with my current solution - I just wanted to
see if there were a more canonical way of doing things.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.