Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] configuring msys.bat for mintty

On 05/12/16 22:36, Earnie wrote:
> On 12/4/2016 2:18 PM, Will Parsons wrote:
>> I'm a long-term user of both Cygwin and MinGW/MSYS on the same system,
>> and so like to be able to distinguish which environment I'm in by the
>> background colour of the terminal emulator.
>>
>> Recently, I decided that I would like to use mintty for my MSYS work,
>> so I changed the shortcut to  pass --mintty to msys.bat.  This works,
>> but results in a MSYS terminal having the same appearance as a Cygwin
>> terminal, since they both read the same ~/.minttyrc.

Why is that?  It implies that you are sharing a common $HOME between
the two systems, which seems like a bad idea.  You certainly don't want
Cygwin and MSYS binaries visible to both; it also makes sense to keep
the configuration files, in $HOME, strictly segregated.  By all means,
have some directories in common, but maybe shared $HOME is a share
too far?

>> I can fix this by editing msys.bat to have:
>>
>> start %WD%mintty -c %HOME%/.minttyrc-msys /bin/bash -l
>>
>> instead of:
>>
>> start %WD%mintty /bin/bash -l
>>
>> But I'm wondering if there's a better/cleaner way of solving the
>> problem?
>
> Mintty isn't supported here.  Maybe ask the maintainer for help.  He
> just announced a new version on the Cygwin list.

Well, I believe Chris Sutcliffe posted a (fairly old) copy in our FRS,
but Chris no longer works on MinGW; like Earnie says, mintty is not a
product we formally endorse, never mind support.  That said, if you
really *must* integrate your Cygwin and MSYS $HOME, is there no way to
accommodate selective configuration within $HOME/.minttyrt itself?
Based on some environment setting which is unique to each system, say?
If not, then the solution you have already found may just be the best
you are likely to achieve.

- --
Regards,
Keith.