Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] newbie errors

On 27/11/16 17:20, Ralph Hipps wrote:
> tried that.... fails.
>
> c:\ash>gcc -Wl,--no-undefined -L. -o aaspi_file.exe aaspi_file.o -laardvark
>
> ./aardvark.dll: file not recognized: File format not recognized
> collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

So, clearly your aardvark.dll either isn't suitable for use with
MinGW, or it has been damaged.  You have the right command now; you
need to pay attention to what the diagnostics are telling you.

> I'm curious about the 'usual' place libs are kept thing, should I be
> copying .dll files into a special dir under the MinGW install dir?

I gave you a reference, the other day, which explains all this.  Did
you bother to read it, as I advised?  If not, perhaps you should.

> I'm starting to thing an earlier comment about the .dll format being
> wrong may be the issue.

Yes, I'm sure it is.  What is the output from running

   file aardvark.dll

at the MSYS command prompt?

> Not sure how to fix that tho.

Either rebuild it yourself, from source, or ask the aardvark support
folks where you can get a replacement which will work with MinGW.

> What about the .h file instead, is there a way to skip the .dll and
> use the .h instead? would that work ...

No.  The .h file *describes* the library *interface* to the compiler;
it is not a library, and most definitely *cannot* replace the library
it describes.

> ... or am I a total n00b?

Maybe, but we all were once; we all had to learn, at some time.

- --
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.