Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] newbie errors

> From: Ralph Hipps <ralph.hipps@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 09:20:55 -0800
>
> tried that.... fails.

Yes, but now it's clear why, I think.

> c:\ash>gcc -Wl,--no-undefined -L. -o aaspi_file.exe aaspi_file.o -laardvark
>
> ./aardvark.dll: file not recognized: File format not recognized
> collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

There you go: that DLL is not compatible with file formats MinGW
supports.  Are you sure it's a 32-bit Windows DLL?

> I'm curious about the 'usual' place libs are kept thing

It's ../lib relative to where gcc.exe is installed.  For the full
answer, invoke this command:

  gcc -print-search-dirs

and it will tell you where it looks for everything.

> should I be copying .dll files into a special dir under the
> MinGW install dir?

Shouldn't be needed, no.

> I'm starting to thing an earlier comment about the .dll format being wrong may be the issue. Not sure how to
> fix that tho.

Get a DLL that's compatible with native 32-bit Windows programs.

> What about the .h file instead, is there a way to skip the .dll and use the .h instead? would that work or am I a
> total n00b?

Unlikely.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.