Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] snprintf and __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO

On 16/11/16 18:28, Burkhardt, Glenn B        UTAS wrote:
> On 16/11/16 13:50, Burkhardt, Glenn B        UTAS wrote:
>> It looks like "snprintf" and friends don't have the same
>> definitions to use the ANSI stdio functions like printf, fprintf,
>> and sprintf do. The result is that if __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO is
>> defined, and -Wall is used, there are compile time warnings if
>> specifications like "%lld" are used.
>
> On Wed 11/16/2016 11:28, Keith Marshall wrote:
>> This is nothing whatsoever to do with __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO,
>> (which you really SHOULDN'T define yourself, BTW; use appropriate
>>  _POSIX_C_SOURCE, or _XOPEN_SOURCE definitions instead).  This
>> is just evidence of the inherent dumbness of GCC's printf format
>> warnings.
>
> I have to disagree with you.  The problem is the omission of the
> correct definition for "snprintf" with __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO
> defined.

No, it isn't ... at least not entirely.

> It works for "printf", and "sprintf".

Again, no it doesn't ... if you compile your code as C++, you will see
those -Wformat messages, regardless.

> This small program:
>
> #define __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO 1

That's just asking for trouble; it may work (fortuitously) today, but
I could change the semantics associated with the interpretation of this
INTERNALLY RESERVED macro tomorrow, and break your code, and I will not
feel the slightest remorse over your problem.  Use _POSIX_C_SOURCE, or
_XOPEN_SOURCE, (or even _GNU_SOURCE), to make your usage safe.

> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main() { long long x = 0x100000000L; char buff[128];
>
> printf("%lld\n", x); sprintf(buff, "%lld\n", x); printf("%s",
> buff); snprintf(buff, sizeof(buff), "%lld\n", x); printf("%s",
> buff);
>
> return 0; }
>
> gives these warnings: $ gcc -g -Wall tt.c -o tt tt.c: In function
> 'main': tt.c:12:5: warning: unknown conversion type character 'l'
> in format [-Wformat] tt.c:12:5: warning: too many arguments for
> format [-Wformat-extra-args]

And I get the same diagnostics, repeated for each of the printf() and
sprintf() calls too, if I add -xc++ to compile your simple program as
if it were C++ code.

> But the "snprintf" call works properly.  The output is: 4294967296
> 4294967296 4294967296

Of course it does; the implementation correctly interprets both the "ll"
and the "I64" format modifiers, regardless of any bogus assumptions made
by GCC/G++ at compile time.

> Call me fastidious, but I find that compiler warnings often alert
> me to real errors in the code.  False positives waste my time.

Right; and -Wformat is a known source of false positives.

> BTW, the correct format specifiers for int64_t, viz, PRId64, are
> wrong when using __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO.  That's another bug.

No, it is not.  The implementation understands "I64d", (which is what
PRId64 represents), to mean IDENTICALLY the same as "lld"; this is
correct BY DESIGN, so it certainly is not a bug.  In fact, if you use
"%" PRId64 in your example program, the bogus -Wformat messages go away;
(of course, you do need to define __STDC_FORMAT_MACROS, before including
<inttypes.h>, to make the C++ case work).

> Also, for what it's worth, this all works properly with the
> headers from the MinGW-w64 fork of the MinGW code, and on every
> Linux system I use.

Whatever behaviour you observe on Linux isn't remotely germane to any
discussion of MinGW behaviour; OTOH, if you believe that the mingw-w64
folks have a solution, which works equally well for BOTH C and C++, and
you can offer me a patch, I will certainly consider it.

- --
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.