Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] snprintf and __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO

> From: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 15:28:52 +0000
>
> On 16/11/16 13:50, Burkhardt, Glenn B        UTAS wrote:
> > It looks like "snprintf" and friends don't have the same
> > definitions to use the ANSI stdio functions like printf, fprintf,
> > and sprintf do. The result is that if __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO is
> > defined, and -Wall is used, there are compile time warnings if
> > specifications like "%lld" are used.
>
> This is nothing whatsoever to do with __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO, (which you
> really SHOULDN'T define yourself, BTW; use appropriate _POSIX_C_SOURCE,
> or _XOPEN_SOURCE definitions instead).  This is just evidence of the
> inherent dumbness of GCC's printf format warnings.

I'm not sure it's GCC dumbness: it could be that the code in question
has some prototype that uses __attribute__ ((format (printf, ...))).

The solution is to use __attribute__ ((format (ms_printf, ...)))
instead; see the GCC manual for the details.  (Perhaps MinGW headers
should do that themselves?)

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.