Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-users] Basic bootstrapping-queries on MinGW

Hi All.

We have a framework, which we have ported on a number of systems of following types ::

      * linux on vanilla desktops
      * linux-like-OS on routers
      * SOCs without any OS

Now, we wish to port the framework to Windows.

As the first step, I am wondering if MinGW would be a good choice, as it will allow compiling on Linux.
As a first step, I have got the most minimal portion of the framework ported using MinGW, and things "mostly" work on Windows.

I say mostly, because the bare-metal-part-of-the-code works fine when the code is compiled using i586-mingw32msvc-gcc, and the binary run on Windows-7.
However, I see that "usleep" does not work on Windows as expected (it works flawlessly on Linux).

Bigger beasts like sockets and multi-threading support still await their turn to be ported to Windows.

With the above back-story, what do the experts think?
Is it worthwhile to go with MinGW-toolchain (on Linux)? Or we use should Visual-Studio (on Windows) itself to compile the framework (as that will also provide the luxury of using the MSDN-APIs)?

Will be grateful for pointers.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.