Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Idea/Discussion of unicode filepath support for C++ STL on Windows

> From: Emily Leiviskä <emily.leiviska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:41:22 +0000
>
> Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see all the other broken APIs fixed and have MinGW be fully Unicode compatible.
>  However I do believe that fixing the file open APIs is low hanging fruit that would help a lot of people, even if it isn't
> full blown Unicode compatibility. And as was said, it is a first step. For example we have a particular case where we get
>  Unicode file paths from Java into a JNI DLL compiled with MinGW, we just want to pass these strings through, and
> open the file.
>
> Do you think there is a reasonable chance to get this into MinGW?

That's for Keith to answer, not me.  I presume that presenting a
working patch would be a useful first step for a practical discussion.
If the patch goes into libmingwex, it's entirely a MinGW decision,
AFAIU.  If you need to patch libstdc++, you will have to talk to GCC
maintainers, where that library is developed and maintained.

TIA

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.