Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Problems compiling Gnulib-assisted projects with MinGW runtime 3.22.2

> From: "raynebc ." <raynebc@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:41:21 -0600
>
> > I'm not arguing against having these prototypes in strings.h, where
> > they belong. I'm saying that having them _also_ in string.h will make
> > the porting jobs easier in many cases. That cannot be a bad thing.
>
> Following standards is better if it achieves the goal of more equivalent compiler behavior between platforms.
> As opposed to declaring the same functions in multiple headers (if programmers weren't expected to be
> willing to include the proper header), wouldn't it be better to just have strings.h include string.h?

That's a tradeoff, and not an easy one, as anyone who was ever
involved with developing standard headers will tell you.  (At least
some C standard required at some point that "a system header shall
behave as if no other system header were included by it"; maybe the
current standard still does.)

However, as a user, I don't care much.  Either way including string.h
will give me the prototypes, and most programs that use these
functions will be unable to tell the difference.  (Glibc actually
includes them in both headers, AFAIK, but that doesn't mean MinGW
needs to do the same.)

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.