Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] libaddr2line.a: dependencies of libbfd.a?

On Oct 06, 2016 at 12:03 AM, Keith Marshall wrote:
> On 05/10/16 22:47, Jannick wrote:
> >> Get the dependency walker:
> >>
> >> http://www.dependencywalker.com/
> >
> > Indeed, this is very interesting. I will try to use the dependency
> > walker to have an automated approach to determine all dependencies
> > (other than system dll's) of an executable.
>
> Another option is the "objdump -x ... | grep -i 'dll name'" command I
> suggested in and earlier post.  Not only is it quicker than waiting for
the
> dependency walker to start up, but it can also be used in a cross
compiling
> environment on a non-Windows host; (indeed, the example I gave earlier
> was actually run on a LinuxMint Debian Edition host).  You may specify any
> .exe or .dll argument, to see its DLL dependencies.

Thanks, I have seen your approach you mentioned in the other posting which
is easy, efficient and pretty much straight forward. However, if I am not
mistaken, it can determine the direct dependencies, only.

After reading a bit about the dependency walker the executable is required
to be run (i.e. it is to be run by the dependency walker's profiler) to
effectively determine all dll's called by the functions of that very run. On
the other hand, your approach could be recursively applied to determine the
complete directed call graph. That is fine in our example which is simple
enough to have a depth of two or three only. But this manual approach does
not appear to be appropriate, since tedious, for more complex projects I
guess.

The cross compiling argument makes your approach even stronger, however, -
as a bare c novice - I stick to MinGW(indows) and try to not get confused by
other systems (for now).

Best regards,
J.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.