Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] libaddr2line.a: dependencies of libbfd.a?

On 01/10/16 17:25, Jannick wrote:
> I am using the version of libliberty.a shipped with msys as part
> of MinGW.

Pedantically, MSYS isn't part of MinGW; it's a development platform in
its own right, which is convenient to use in conjunction *with* MinGW.

> I reinstalled all of MinGW and Msys with
>
> Mingw-get upgrade --reinstall --recursive
>
> to use the latest versions available. Then libliberty.a (in

I guess you meant to say "libiberty.a" here?

> C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\lib) has a file datestamp as of Jan 16, 2010,
> with a file size of 344kB. Supposedly this is outdated.

It's the current version, for use by MSYS platform developers ONLY.
It isn't intended to be used by MinGW application developers; indeed,
it is completely incompatible with such usage.

> Notably, while libbfd.a is available in the MinGW library folder,
> liberty.a is not which is why I linked the version in the msys
> folder.

That was a grave error.  Indeed, why do you even have those MSYS libs
installed in the first place?  Unless you are (or aspire to become) an
MSYS platform developer, (in which case, you really should know better
than to misuse them so), you have absolutely no need for them.

> Is it thus possible that bfd & liberty in MinGW/Msys do not fit
> together?

Not just possible; it's a well known, often stated fact that they are
completely incompatible; (an incompatibility which affects any attempt
to mix MinGW libs with MSYS libs, in any single application).

- --
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.