Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] libiconv-2.dll is missing

On 25/09/16 00:10, Mike Crawford wrote:
> I installed it with the GUI version of mingw-get.

Did you check for error messages, in the dialogue pane?

>> The MinGW site provides libiconv-2.dll in this directory:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/libiconv/
>

> This fixed it, thank you.
>
>> If you download and install using mingw-get, the tool should
>> install that dependency automatically.

It does ... unless some network glitch causes the package download
to fail, (in which case, there would have been an error reported).
If this does happen, (as it does, occasionally), then:

  $ mingw-get install --reinstall mingw32-libiconv-dll

(in this case) should be sufficient to rectify the problem, (and
similarly, with substitution of the appropriate package name, for
any other package which is not downloaded successfully).

> I don't think the dependency was installed.  May I respectfully
> suggest that someone install the current MinGW on a Windows system
> that has never had MinGW before?  Using a VM would make this more
> convenient.

I do that, routinely, when publishing catalogue updates.  Nonetheless,
I just repeated the exercise; libiconv-2.dll is *definitely* installed
as a dependency of the mingw-base package collection, following an
error-free install into an initially empty c:/mingw/sandbox:

  $ rm -rf c:/mingw/sandbox/*

  $ mingw-get-setup.exe &

which initially installs mingw-get itself, selecting c:/mingw/sandbox
as installation directory, then runs the just-installed mingw-get.exe,
from which I selected and applied changes for the mingw-base package
collection only, then:

  $ mount --repl c:/mingw/sandbox /mingw

  $ ls -l /mingw/bin/libiconv*.dll
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 ... 1408750 Sep  1  2013 /mingw/bin/libiconv-2.dll

  $ gcc --version
  gcc.exe (GCC) 5.3.0
  There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS
  FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

- --
Regards,
Keith.