Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] putwchar not working

Yes indeed by invoking the shell inside emacs and running the output of gcc, utf8 characters print perfectly fine (especially Arabic words are written right to left and with correct letter shapes).
I would also like to point out that even though cygwin terminal also works equally perfect, if you try to use xterm in cygwin you get the same result as the command prompt in windows (that is Arabic words are printed left to right not right to left and wrong letter shapes). I am not pointing that out to defend Microsoft, I am neutral when it comes to Unix/Windows endian war. Well I think Windows does a good job for non-hackers(in the good old sense).
Anyway keeping xterm like that may be for the same reason that Microsoft kept command prompt that way [Note that cygwin already had their up to date terminal emulator ready], that is accommodating legacy command line applications (DOS in case of Windows)...

hisham...

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:42 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 06:31:00 +0000 (UTC)

> From: Hisham Sueyllam <sueyllam@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Just one correction mingw64 gives the same as mingw32, the correct display from right to left and correct
> letter shapes happened in msys2 terminal so I guess the same terminal with mingw32 would also work...
> hisham...

It's not MinGW that does this, it's the MSYS2 console.  You will see
the same if you invoke the program inside the Emacs terminal
emulation.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.