Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] putwchar not working

> From: Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 10:52:46 +0800
>
> > AFAIK, the only reliable way of writing non-ASCII text to the Windows
> > console is by using WriteConsoleW.  Did you try that?
>
> I have many ways to work around the issue for myself. However, I do
> not have time to fix all the applications that are compilable by
> MinGW. The only practical solutions (though still difficult), IMHO,
> are:
>
> * Make Microsoft fix the issue in MSVCRT
> * Make MinGW not use MSVCRT for I/O functions

My point is whatever you do, it won't solve the problem completely.
Even if putwchar will eventually do what the MS VS static libraries
do, some basic problem will remain.  For example, you cannot display
anything with putwchar that is beyond the BMP, because a single
wchar_t argument can only express characters in the BMP.  And that is
only one of the fundamental problems with non-ASCII support on the
Windows console.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.