Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] putwchar not working

On 7 September 2016 at 22:42, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 17:07:54 +0800
>>
>> On 7 September 2016 at 13:56, Chan Oak <chanomail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Does anyone know why putwchar is not working with mingw?
>> > I only able to use wprintf for wide character printing
>>
>> Problem of the MSVCRT.DLL on Windows Vista and later. Reported a few
>> years ago but no one is working on it. It is not just putwchar.
>> Outputting non-ASCII characters has problems with putchar/putwchar, in
>> general.
>>
>> I had a blog on this one:
>>
>> https://yongweiwu.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/msvcrt-dll-console-io-bug/
>
> AFAIK, the only reliable way of writing non-ASCII text to the Windows
> console is by using WriteConsoleW.  Did you try that?

I have many ways to work around the issue for myself. However, I do
not have time to fix all the applications that are compilable by
MinGW. The only practical solutions (though still difficult), IMHO,
are:

* Make Microsoft fix the issue in MSVCRT
* Make MinGW not use MSVCRT for I/O functions

--
Yongwei Wu

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.