Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] putwchar not working

I tried both Suggestions [the one from Wu and this one suggested by Eli]. Nothing worked at least for Arabic, including piping through perl. By redirecting the Arabic output to a file I can open it and see it correct using any editor [I used emacs], but when piping through perl I get garbage or using puts or putchar or whatever. I have Windows 10 64-bit and gcc 5.3.0 (the latest)
By the way if anyone is curious, the Arabic string is my first name:

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
   puts(u8"هشام\n");
  return 0;
}

hisham...

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 4:47 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 17:07:54 +0800
>
> On 7 September 2016 at 13:56, Chan Oak <chanomail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know why putwchar is not working with mingw?
> > I only able to use wprintf for wide character printing
>
> Problem of the MSVCRT.DLL on Windows Vista and later. Reported a few
> years ago but no one is working on it. It is not just putwchar.
> Outputting non-ASCII characters has problems with putchar/putwchar, in
> general.
>
> I had a blog on this one:
>
> https://yongweiwu.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/msvcrt-dll-console-io-bug/

AFAIK, the only reliable way of writing non-ASCII text to the Windows
console is by using WriteConsoleW.  Did you try that?

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.